JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (https://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Home Birth (https://www.justmommies.com/forums/f341-home-birth/)
-   -   How soon? (https://www.justmommies.com/forums/f341-home-birth/1858266-how-soon.html)

Twinkle February 1st, 2010 11:09 AM

How soon?

How soon after your labor (or delivery) will you call family members? Are there certain family members that you just won't call until after you have the baby?

jhmomofmany February 1st, 2010 11:46 AM

Re: How soon?

With my first homebirth (5th baby) I called my mom to let her know I was in labor, and she made a last-ditch effort to talk me into going to the hospital. :rolleyes: When I lost Hope, I didn't call anybody until after I delivered her, even though it took three days. With Mary we called after she was born, mostly because I started labor in the middle of the night and delivered very quickly.

I don't plan to call anybody this time around until after baby is born- the morning after if I have another night-time delivery.

flitabout February 1st, 2010 12:05 PM

I haven't gotten that far yet but I really don't think I will call anybody right away.

lhug_nar February 1st, 2010 12:46 PM

We're going to try not to tell anyone that I'm in labor since my IL's will try to convince us to go to the hospital. We'll call MIL if we need someone to take the kids but otherwise, we are going to wait 12 hrs or the morning after baby comes...

Twhylite21 February 1st, 2010 01:11 PM

We will probably call my sister to let her know I'm in labor. And one of my SILs since she will be coming over to watch Lily. But I don't plan on calling anyone after the delivery for at least 2 hours or so, and then it'll probably just be my sister and one of DH's other sisters and we'll let them spread the news to the rest of the family.

lilflower February 1st, 2010 03:05 PM

I haven't thought much of it. I will probably wait until I am settled down and comfy and rested :)

Alison79 February 1st, 2010 03:57 PM

All of our family is out of state so we usually call them at the start of labor and call again after baby has been weighed because they want the stats ;)

HappyHippy February 2nd, 2010 09:45 AM

My mom, MIL, and 2 aunts will most likely be attending our birth. We've asked them and they've agreed as long as everything goes ok with their schedules. So they'll already be present. They are free to call whomever they wish after baby is born and tell them. I don't think we'll actually call anyone, but we're going to send out announcements within that first week.

CameraLinds February 3rd, 2010 02:03 AM

we didn't call everyone until about 4 hours after he was born. (they knew I was in labor as we called our families to let them know and to pray for us)

GranolaMamaOf3 February 4th, 2010 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alison79 (Post 18887303)
All of our family is out of state so we usually call them at the start of labor and call again after baby has been weighed because they want the stats ;)

Ditto! We call asap (truly meaning as soon as possible;))...we wont rush, but will let them know as soon as it's convenient.

crazytown February 4th, 2010 07:53 PM

We let everyone know I was in labor (everyone was supportive of my choice to HB) and then we phoned about 2 hours after she was born. We snuggled, nursed then got excited and made calls!