JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (https://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Moms and Expectant Moms of Multiples (https://www.justmommies.com/forums/f77-moms-and-expectant-moms-multiples/)
-   -   Possible twins?! (https://www.justmommies.com/forums/f77-moms-and-expectant-moms-multiples/2648208-possible-twins.html)

mommymel11 May 4th, 2013 06:10 PM

Possible twins?!

Hi ladies,

Hoping for a little insight...I have had 4 miscarriages all in the first trimester. The most recent was in October, the baby's heart had stopped at 9 weeks. I do have 3 healthy children who are 12, 10 and 6. Due to my issues I had my first ultrasound at 5 weeks. We saw 1 sac with a yolk no heartbeat or fetal pole. My second ultrasound exactly a week later showed 2 sacs, 1 with heartbeat and the second a surprise that was much smaller and my doctor couldn't tell if there was a yolk but she thought she saw something. She didn't schedule me for another ultrasound until 9 weeks (23rd). I feel like I will drive myself crazy until then. Not only worrying about making it through the 1st trimester but now the disappointment if its not twins. Could they just be different conception days considering the 2nd wasn't spotted at 5 weeks but popped up smaller at 6. I knew something was off with this pregnancy, but I passed it off to my age (I'm 35). I'm nauseous all the time and exhausted, which never was a problem with my other pregnancies. My hope is that there will be 2 healthy babies at 9 weeks.

I also have been spotting, which only happened with my first son. They put me on progesterone suppositories. I have used them twice a day with every pregnancy since as well as this one. I don't understand the spotting, it's only a little and my doctor doesn't seem concerned but with my history I panic.

Does anyone have a similar story?

Thanks, Melissa

LABs May 4th, 2013 07:03 PM

Re: Possible twins?!

I'm only thinking of this as I'm dealing with one right now, but the second sack could be a subchorionic hemorrhage/hematoma or SCH. Do an image search. Some look a lot like a second sack. It would explain the bleeding as well.

With you being so early, its hard to get a good idea of what is going on. I hope your next u/s is positive for you!

mommymel11 May 4th, 2013 07:58 PM

Since my appointment I have spent hours of research online...so only makes you worry more. It does not look like either suggestion. It is clearly two sacs, one smaller in size. My doctor simply couldn't tell if it has anything in it for certain. Only time will tell. Thank you for responding. :)

If I could figure out how to post a photo I would of the ultrasound.

hannahhaileyandheathersmom May 4th, 2013 08:26 PM

They can be conceived different days my twin girls were 4 days apart. Showed on ultrasound like that too.

LABs May 5th, 2013 02:34 PM

Being so early, if they were conceived on different days, it could totally look like one sack is empty. Every day counts and changes what you will see. Its frustrating, but the best plan is to wait a bit and check it in later. Then you will be able to see hearts beating!

Rae-of-Sunshine May 5th, 2013 07:46 PM

I don't have any advice for you sine my first u/s wasn't until 8 weeks and we clearly saw both by then. I do know the older you get the more likely you are to have twins though (mine we at 35), so you never know. I hope you can stay sane until the 23rd!

mommymel11 May 6th, 2013 03:32 PM

Have an appointment on Friday that will include an ultrasound. Hoping I might have some more insight on what is going on. :) Just need to make it 4 days.

KMH May 7th, 2013 10:39 AM

As a matter of fact, I have a very similar story ;)

My first ultrasound was at 5w1d, and the ultrasound showed one sac measuring slightly smaller than it should (we did IVF, so we knew exactly how far along I was). I went back at 6w4d just praying that my little bean had made it, and we saw TWO sacs, TWO babies, and TWO heartbeats! One was measuring slightly behind, which is normal. Also, bleeding and/or spotting is more common in twin pregnancies...I spotted off and on during the first 8 weeks.

Early ultrasounds are knows for being "off" and our little babies change SO much from day to day. My twins almost never measured exactly the same, and that's is perfectly normal.

Good luck and let us know what you find out!

mommymel11 May 10th, 2013 03:38 PM

It's confirmed IT'S TWINS!!

Can't believe it. Went to the ultrasound at first she couldn't spot baby number 2 as he/she was hiding behind it's sibling but there is was heart beating like crazy. Two healthy heartbeats 150/140. The smaller measured a few days behind but both were over 7 weeks so growing like they should. I am so happy. Still nervous due to my history of miscarriages but hoping for the best.

KMH May 10th, 2013 04:05 PM

Wow, congratulations! Best wishes for a happy and healthy pregnancy x 2 :greencheer:

LABs May 10th, 2013 06:25 PM

How wonderful! We aren't due very far apart!