JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (https://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Trying to Conceive after Loss (https://www.justmommies.com/forums/f114-trying-to-conceive-after-loss/)
-   -   Do I have a chance?? (possible MC mentioned) (https://www.justmommies.com/forums/f114-trying-to-conceive-after-loss/2633106-do-i-have-chance-possible-mc-mentioned.html)

DogMomForNow March 8th, 2013 07:16 PM

Do I have a chance?? (possible MC mentioned)
Hi Ladies. My name is Stacie. I've been reading, but not really posting on JM since 2010. JM is always my trusted site to come too whenever I need advice.

Here's my story:

I got a BFP on February 18th. Completely shocking. We weren't trying at all, even using protection except for that 1 night, which is where and how our story begins :-) I always kind of felt like this pregnancy was different. I have a 17mo daughter, and thus far the pregnancies are 110% different. From that first BFP on the 18th i'd had a little bit of brown spotting, along with a speck or 2 of pink/red. Never much to concern me. I started getting a little bit of morning sickness (nothing like my first pregnancy), but thought to be on the safe side with a 17mo old running around i'd go see my OB about getting Zofran again. At my apt I mentioned the spotting, additional cramping, and back pain. My OB thought best to do an transvaginal ultrasound (I was 6w6d). Immediately the sac was found but an empty sac...no yolk, nothing. We did my HCG level which on Thursday came back at 22,737(right on target for 6w6d). Great for a healthy pregnancy, not great because he should have seen more then just the gestational sac (I saw my DD on ultrasound at 6w4d, heartbeat and all). He immediately sent me for another ultrasound at an actual imaging location this morning. The tech completed both outside and transvaginal ultrasound, and both turned up empty (today I am 7w0d). My gestational sac is measuring at 13mm, and had what the doctor called "debris" floating around. Both the ultrasound tech and doctor at the imaging office said "It's not looking good." Both pretty much calling it, a blighted ovum. My actual OB wants to check my HCG level one more time to make sure, before we proceed with our options. I know I am exact on my dates, aside from the 1 night of unprotected sex, but also because I was out of town (without my hubs) from a few days after ovulation till I got my BFP.

So I guess my question is, do you think there is any chance both ultrasounds could be wrong?

I've never miscarried before, so i'm not sure what to expect. The nurse at my OB's office said that he'll discuss the options (mentioning a natural miscarriage and a d&c).

My heart, and my mind are saying this is over...especially after seeing what I've seen today. Most of my pg symptoms are gone, morning sickness is subsiding, cravings going away, etc. It's kind of surreal.

Any advice/thoughts are welcome. Thanks in advance!


lelila March 8th, 2013 07:27 PM

Re: Do I have a chance?? (possible MC mentioned)
I'm so sorry you are going through this. Each time I read a story I feel so sad that so many women have such pain and loss. I wish there was something someone could say to make the hurt and anger go away. I wish I knew what to tell you but I just don't know. I have read alot (probably much more than I should) and there are alot of women who have been in your situation. Most of them said that they waited for a natural miscarriage to happen - because that was the only way they were sure. Some ended up having one and some didn't and when on to have healthy pregnancies.

I pray that your story ends with happiness and joy. KUP

momof8lopez March 8th, 2013 09:30 PM

Re: Do I have a chance?? (possible MC mentioned)
To tell a woman/mother not to hold hope in her heart, is like taking away all of our natural instincts. There are always miracles. I had a blighted ovum, much to what you are experiencing right now. I had follow up u/s's until I was 13/14wks along and I hemmoraged at home. The sac grew appropiately for my gestation, but unfortunately for me, the baby never grew past the early stages of implantation. I had a uterus the size of a 2nd trimester uterus and when the sac tore during m/c, it caused me to hemorage. Please do in your heart what you feel is necessary to fully accept this. Just don't wait too long. Blighted ovums can get scary past a certain point. Praying for you.

AviatrixMorgan March 9th, 2013 03:24 PM

Re: Do I have a chance?? (possible MC mentioned)
There is always a chance, and I think it's natural to hold onto that chance. For me I had an ultrasound on Wednesday that dated me a week behind. Then began bleeding on Friday night and passed quite a bit, a scary amount. Saturday the tissue passed. I knew it was over...but when I went in for the ultrasound on Monday to confirm there was still a part of me not ready to believe it until I saw nothing there.

Best wishes!

momology March 11th, 2013 09:30 AM

Re: Do I have a chance?? (possible MC mentioned)
I am so very sorry you are going through this. It was a very hard thing for me to accept after 2 ultra sounds as well. This is a decision only you can make for yourself and it is such a difficult one. All you can do is discuss the options with your doctor and make the choice that is best for you and your family. Maybe you could go in for one more confirmation in a week to confirm either way?

Please keep us posted I will be keeping you in my thoughts.

humnck March 12th, 2013 12:50 PM

Re: Do I have a chance?? (possible MC mentioned)
I am so sorry you are going through this, it is such a terrible waiting game!

With my first loss I went in for an u/s and was around 5w, they couldn't see anything, I was in because of bleeding. They did hcg and that was too low to see anything anyways, had another draw and things were progressing, I had another u/s at around 6.5w, they found a sac, but it appeared empty, however, my doc said that at that point, it could just be too early, she prepared me for either scenario. I went back again at 8w, because the doc said that at 8w, if there wasn't anything there, we could be certain that things were over. My hcg was rising, but not doubling too. However, I chose to wait until the 8w mark to ensure that what we had seen was in fact a blighted ovum and not a slow growing baby (my doc said she has seen it go both ways). Because it had been about 3 weeks since everything started, I chose to have a D&E, because it just didn't seem like it would ever end and for me, that would have been hard. The decision is such a hard one, if you feel that you need to wait, I would, you don't want that lingering thought, the what if. I am sure that your doctor will be happy to do another u/s for your peace of mind.


Xtapolapocet March 12th, 2013 10:10 PM

Re: Do I have a chance?? (possible MC mentioned)
First, I am so very sorry you're going through this.

As far as waiting...that is up to you. I've only had natural miscarriages (3), there is no particular way to prepare yourself for it. In my experience I had horrible cramping (like super menstrual cramps) and excessive bleeding. Then I began to pass the tissue (which was awful), and because of the cervix dilating for the tissue to pass...MORE severe cramping. At one point I actually bled through the pad, my clothes and onto our bed. My best advice is to stock up on some Tena pads (used for urinary incontinence) and wait to see what happens. The reason I opted to have a natural M/C was due to the fact that women have been having this happen for centuries and long before D&C's were available and they made it just fine. If after a period of time you haven't M/C'd you could always contact your doctor and proceed to the next step (medical intervention). You poor thing, my heart goes out to you!! :hug:

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:17 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright © 2003-2012 JustMommies.com, All Rights Reserved.