JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (https://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Trying to Conceive with Medical Assistance (https://www.justmommies.com/forums/f74-trying-to-conceive-medical-assistance/)
-   -   Embryos to Transfer?? (https://www.justmommies.com/forums/f74-trying-to-conceive-medical-assistance/2686963-embryos-to-transfer.html)

*Leah* October 19th, 2013 03:06 PM

Embryos to Transfer??
Decision time...

Since we had a failed fresh cycle March/April (m/c at 8w) and a failed FET in August (CP).. we have two failed cycles and I'm over 35 (I'm 37). My clinic would allow us to transfer 3 embryos on d3 or still 2 on d5. I have only ever had 3dt.

When I was 34 and got pg with Mallory, we txferred 2, there were two sacs at the first u/s but only Mallory had a heartbeat, the other sac was smaller and black...and (now I'm older, my eggs are older, etc...) we txferred 2 for my 2nd fresh cycle, pg with singleton (m/c) and FET txferred 2 and CP.

I'm hoping I get enough embryos to make it to a 5dt, so I don't have to DECIDE! However, it's something we need to decide by next Wednesday.

If we are blessed with twins, I would gladly be SO happy with that, however I have to take into the realization that triplets ARE a possibility, even though a low one, at 1%. And of course, there are those rare cases of women txferring 2 and ending up with trips anyways because an egg split LOL...

If you were me, what would you do?

PS...started stims today :) 2 Menopur and 4 Bravelle :) - B/W Monday and B/W & U/S Wednesday :) ....it's getting real :) eeeek :)

KMH October 19th, 2013 03:43 PM

Re: Embryos to Transfer??
Why do you have to decide so soon? You can't wait and decide based on how many embies you have and how they look?

*Leah* October 19th, 2013 05:01 PM

Re: Embryos to Transfer??
I actually brought that up to the nurse (good point) because if there were 2 great quality ones and a not so great one, I'd txfer 3 (that's what happened in my Mallory cycle..and the 3rd one didn't make it to freeze) .I did say to her that it might depend on the quality on that day...but I had not yet discussed this with Mike.

I think they want an answer, so that we actually discuss it and don't wait until the day of transfer and not have a plan. I am sure the day of transfer, if they looked super stellar (on d3) they would let us change our minds.

Mike is okay with 3. But he doesn't have to be pg :)

Seriously, how many smilies can I put in the last sentence above LMAO!

Sunrise October 19th, 2013 06:16 PM

Re: Embryos to Transfer??
I know my opinion is just that bc I'm not in your shoes- but I do understand the desire for preg. After so many cycles and age hanging over you- I think I might go with three. It's risky. But what can you do? What's the REs opinion?
! I also agree with the rational recommendation Melissa made which is to wait and eval quality of embies then make a decision.

Whatever you choose, you're supported! This is so tough. Best of luck.

*Whiskey* October 19th, 2013 07:30 PM

Re: Embryos to Transfer??
I'm with Sunrise. I've never been in your shoes, but given the history, I'd go with 3 if you're given the option.

*Leah* October 19th, 2013 10:21 PM

Re: Embryos to Transfer??
Sunrise...the Dr. specifically noted for the nurse to discuss it with me, so I believe he would approved of 3...but it is ultimately our decision.

Jodimarie October 19th, 2013 11:14 PM

Re: Embryos to Transfer??
Just wanted to drop in and say HOW EXCITED I AM FOR YOU!! Tons of baby dust for you Leah! :dust:

Lucy S. October 20th, 2013 12:00 AM

Re: Embryos to Transfer??
So on the IVF thread I had written a long responce to this a couple days ago but it never posted :(
Basically it was just a bunch of questions to consider and in the end said I would do three but and pray not all 3 stuck! LOL!
I am :cheer: for you all the way! THIS IS IT!!!

MandyEllen October 20th, 2013 02:31 PM

Re: Embryos to Transfer??
Cheering for you to get a bfp. It is a tough decision. I voted for 2, but it really would matter on transfer day of their quality.

~~MeeMee~~ October 20th, 2013 02:58 PM

Re: Embryos to Transfer??
Hi Leah, I’m so excited for you!

I’ve never had to make that tough decision, only had the two to transfer, but probably wouldn’t have transfered more than 2 even if I had more. My main reasoning is we do not have any family and very few friends around us to support and help us. But if I had family and lots of close friends nearby, I’d probably transfer 3.

jes81878 October 20th, 2013 07:02 PM

Re: Embryos to Transfer??
If they were all great quality, I would transfer two. Besides that fact that caring for three babies would be rough, triplet pregnancies carries a lot of risks. I know that it is rare that all three would take, but I would really research all the possible complications and think seriously if you are willing to take the risk. However, if I had to choose between taking a risk of triplets or no baby....I would transfer 3.

Sorry, my advice is all over the place. You know I'm having twins, and I'm not complaining about the extra doctor's appointment or even that this pregnancy has been really difficult, I just worry that my body won't support two babies, or something will go wrong with this pregnancy.

In the end, it is your body and you know what is best for you, but I could completely understand you deciding either way. It's a hard choice, and I'm praying you have several blasts and don't have to make the decision.

Raunchero October 20th, 2013 08:58 PM

Leah, I have no clue on what I would decide... Mostly because I have only moderate knowledge in IVF. Just wanted to say that you will ultimately make the right decision for you. I pray that you do it confidently! GL this cycle... I am over the boarder cheering for you!

melissaleigh October 21st, 2013 06:43 AM

Re: Embryos to Transfer??
So excited for you!!! 2 or 3 which ever you decide I just know this is it for you!!!! EEEEKKKKK

KMH October 21st, 2013 09:12 AM

Re: Embryos to Transfer??
I voted for two, but I still think it depends on how many you have and their quality. I'll be praying for you and cheering for you no matter what!

smsturner October 21st, 2013 10:51 AM

Re: Embryos to Transfer??
I'm so excited for you to get going again. Huge hugs for you! :) I just know you will have a sweet little one this time!

kayakr October 21st, 2013 12:53 PM

Re: Embryos to Transfer??
I voted for two. However, when I went in for my 5 day transfer I had two good quality embryo and one bad quality. At the time I wanted all three transferred because they said the third one wasn't going to make it to the freeze anyways. Well I was told "No" by the RE. He didn't recommend it at all. He said that third low quality Embryo could mess up the other two good ones.

Being pregnant with two right now, I would still choose to have twins VS. a BFN. I am all about making odds better. However, I must warn you this twin pregnancy thing is not for wimps! This is very hard and should be taken serious. My twins are doing great but my body/mind is starting to give out a little and we are hoping to get me to 35 weeks now.

I am sure whatever you decide will be the right decision! Trust your gut!

*Leah* October 21st, 2013 01:15 PM

Re: Embryos to Transfer??
Gretchen...very interesting about the 3rd lower quality one messing up the good ones, because I'm finding that there are lower birth rates when transferring 3 vs 2. It might be because of complications if they got pg with more than 2?

I had pretty much decided on 2 good ones and the third if it was a bit lower quality, but now you've got me thinking again!! GAAH! LOL! I am going to talk to the nurse again on Wednesday.

I really think I want to know the quality before we decide.

Hoping and praying I get to a 5dt so no decision is needed on my part!

Thanks girls...:)

kayakr October 21st, 2013 01:26 PM

Re: Embryos to Transfer??
I never asked for details on why he thought my third weak little embryo could mess up my two good ones. I took it as it could make the good ones not implant or something. Once he said that and I looked at them for myself I knew the third guy wasn't going to make it anyways and I didn't want to take the chance of my "perfect" embryo suffering. I saw the pictures myself of all three of them and that third one was just not doing well at all although it made it to day 5.

He did give me the option of transferring one good Embryo and the bad one and freezing the second good one but after looking at the picture of it, I knew what I had to do.

Your gut will tell you what to do when the time comes! Trust it.

JennyLee October 21st, 2013 04:38 PM

Re: Embryos to Transfer??
Hoping for a 5dt to make it easy for you!

Sunrise October 21st, 2013 08:57 PM

Re: Embryos to Transfer??
Glad to hear you have a plan!

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:31 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright © 2003-2012 JustMommies.com, All Rights Reserved.