JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (https://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   TTC #1 Grads Journals (https://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1723-ttc-1-grads-journals/)
-   -   A Baby Journal for Jackson (https://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1723-ttc-1-grads-journals/2565132-baby-journal-for-jackson.html)

Mom2JDub August 23rd, 2012 07:32 PM

A Baby Journal for Jackson
I'm starting a journal for my now two-week-old baby boy. I figured I'd start with his birth story and then move into an update from his two-week appointment. If anyone is interested in reading my pregnancy journal, just click here.

Jackson's Birth Story

On Friday, July 27 (at 36 weeks and 5 days pregnant), I had a routine ultrasound to check on Jackson’s size and position. The good news was that he was perfectly positioned; however, the technician estimated that he only weighed 5 pounds, which was below the 10th percentile for fetuses at that gestation. So my obstetrician ordered a follow-up ultrasound for the next week.

On Friday, August 3 (at 37 weeks and 5 days pregnant), the technician estimated that Jackson still only weighed 5 pounds. If that measurement was true, he would only be in the 5th percentile for size. When I went over the results with my obstetrician, she wanted to admit me to the hospital’s labor and delivery unit for at least a couple of hours of fetal monitoring. If they detected any distress to Jackson, she would recommend induction that night. Her fear was that the placenta was aging prematurely and not providing the sustenance that Jackson needed.

Fortunately, throughout the monitoring, which assesses contractions, maternal heart rate and blood pressure, and fetal heart rate, Jackson did great. However, I had a lot of Braxton Hicks contractions mixed in with some slightly painful contractions. They were inconsistently spaced but much more frequent than would be expected. Upon examination, it was determined that I was 80% effaced and 2cm dilated. I wasn’t really in labor yet, but I was told that it could progress to full-blown labor very soon. Fearing that Jackson was so small, the on-call obstetrician ordered me onto bed rest, hoping that Jackson would make it to his due date and grow a bit more. In the meantime, though, I had to schedule fetal non-stress tests twice weekly to ensure that he was still thriving.

I had major doubts that he was that small, as I knew that guessing babies’ weight during late-term ultrasounds was not very accurate. Nonetheless, I couldn’t help but worry. So I followed the doctor’s orders to do nothing and took maternity leave a week earlier than planned. When I would become restless and move around a little more than I should have, I would have endless Braxton Hicks contractions. So I truly just relaxed and let William do everything around the house. It was maddening because I had been so active the entire pregnancy.

On Wednesday, August 8 (at 38 weeks and 3 days pregnant), I rested on the couch all day long. However, I noticed that I just felt different. I could tell that Jackson had been dropping and engaging his head for a while, and that was confirmed at my examination on August 3. However, on this day, I felt so much pressure. I really had the urge to do pelvic floor exercises because everything felt so “loose.” I also felt like I could pee myself at any moment. In addition, I just felt weird. I was really jittery. It’s difficult to describe, but I just felt “off.” If I relaxed, I didn’t have any Braxton Hicks contractions. However, if I did anything as simple as standing up, I would get one.

I went to bed that night feeling a lot of Braxton Hicks contractions, but that was normal for my bedtime routine. At midnight on Thursday, August 9, I woke up to use the bathroom. Upon getting back into bed and lying on my right side, I got severe back pain in my lower- to mid-left back. I tried to reposition and massage it myself, but it would not subside. It wasn’t contracting, just constant pain. My first thought was that it could be sciatic pain, but I hadn’t experienced that a single time all pregnancy. After about 15 minutes of non-stop pain, I woke up William. He has pretty regular bouts of kidney stones, and I was worried that perhaps that was my problem. He massaged my back, and it eventually felt better. I decided that if it was just sciatic pain, I would be better off sleeping on the recliner.

At 1:00 am, just as I got comfy on the recliner and closed my eyes, I got a Braxton Hicks contraction. At its peak, I suddenly “peed” myself. I thought for a moment that my bag of waters had broken, but it wasn’t much fluid. Since my bladder had gotten increasingly weak during pregnancy, I thought it was more likely that the Braxton Hicks contraction had caused me to pee myself. I went to the bathroom to see if more fluid would come out, and then I felt the urge to actually pee. It appeared to just be urine, but I still wasn’t exactly sure. After debating it for a while, I decided that I should at least take a shower and get ready in case we did need to head to the hospital.

At 1:30 am, I showered and started to get ready. I just let William keep sleeping because I didn’t want to prematurely wake him up on a work night.

At 2:00 am, I had to pee again. After finishing, I felt a “pop” inside that was really unsettling. And a little bit more fluid trickled out. At that point, I was entirely certain that my bag of waters had broken. When I wiped, I also saw bloody show. So I calmly woke up William and told him that we were going to have a baby that day. I told him he could keep sleeping since real contractions hadn’t started yet. I was just going to continue getting ready. I honestly thought it would be at least several hours before we needed to leave. After all, this was my first baby, and I had been told time and again that the average first-time labor is 12 hours long.

Within just a few minutes, I had my first painful contraction. It really caught me off guard. I wasn’t expecting to feel one so soon. I just leaned against the wall and breathed through it. I then expected to wait at least ten minutes before I felt another one. I continued to fix my hair, and I got another contraction in just about four minutes. I didn’t stress about it, though, because I figured they could be sporadic still. However, I got my next one in just about five minutes. They continued every four to six minutes while I finished getting ready. It obviously took me longer than usual. And I certainly did not take the time to apply any makeup. I’m so glad that William decided that he didn’t want to keep sleeping and instead got our bag ready to go, snapped in the car seat, took care of our cat, etc. By the time I was finished getting ready, my contractions were mostly four minutes apart. I was really surprised at how fast they had progressed.

At 2:45 am, we left the house. The hospital is 30 miles away from our home, so it took us a little more than half an hour to get there. I’m so glad that it was the middle of the night because we were able to avoid traffic. We parked the car, and I told William that we needed to wait until the next contraction ended. We then walked inside, and I got another contraction while we were checking in at the security desk.

At 3:30 am, we headed up to the labor and delivery unit, and I got yet another contraction by the time I reached their desk. Things were pretty quiet in the unit. They walked us to our labor/delivery/recovery suite, got me changed into the hospital gown, and hooked me up to the maternal/fetal monitor. The nurse reviewed my birth plan, which stated that I wanted to labor as long as possible before getting an epidural. So she told me to just let her know if I wanted one or any other form of pain management at any time. I told her that I preferred to wait until I knew how far things had progressed. My contractions were very close together and painful, but I was managing them through breathing. I didn’t want to only be in the early stages of dilatation and already asking for an epidural.

At 4:00 am, the nurse confirmed that my bag of waters had broken. I wasn’t surprised at that point, but I had envisioned a much more dramatic scene. Instead, it was just a few gushes here and there while I was laboring at home. I didn’t feel a big gush until I was already in very active labor. They just explained that as the baby moved, it opened the way for more fluid to come out during the major contractions. She then examined me and determined that I was already 100% effaced and 6cm dilated. At that point, I told her that I wanted to get an epidural. Things were progressing so fast, and the pain was so intense. I had a feeling that if I didn’t get the ball rolling on the epidural soon that I would miss the window of opportunity.

At 4:30 am, the nurse tried to find a vein in my hands/wrists to start an IV. Unfortunately, she couldn’t find a good one. She told me that rather than poking me unnecessarily, she was going to get a more experienced nurse to do the job. Unfortunately, my veins were being rather stubborn. Three different nurses tried unsuccessfully to find a vein. Finally, they called in the anesthesiologist. She couldn’t get one started either and mentioned that my veins kept rolling. They blew out three of the six veins they tried to engage. Finally, the anesthesiologist decided to just put it in my arm. That is not an ideal location, since labor is a very physical experience that needs flexibility. However, it was either that location or no epidural.

At 5:30 am, the anesthesiologist placed the epidural. My contractions were so intense at that point that I honestly don’t even remember feeling any pain associated with the placement of the epidural itself. I was more focused on not moving while I labored through a doozy of a contraction during the procedure. With every IV attempt, I had asked them to wait until I was between contractions. My contractions were so close together by the time the epidural was placed, though, that it wasn’t really possible to do that. After two or three more contractions, the pain started easing. It was such a relief.

The nurse examined me again to find that I was 8cm dilated. She was shocked at the progression. And I was thrilled that I had made it to 8cm without any pain medication. While William and I had taken a prepared childbirth course and learned a few breathing techniques, I never really practiced them. I did breathe through some of the minor contractions that I had in the weeks leading up to labor, but they were nothing compared to what I experienced during active labor. I just focused on breathing at a steady pace and soothed myself through alternating moaning sounds that just came out naturally. Looking back, I imagine I could have gone through the whole thing without pain medication, but I don’t regret the decision to get the epidural.

The nurse then told me that epidurals often slow down labor, so she would check my progression again at 6:30 am. She said that they would insert a catheter at that time as well. I thought to myself that there was no way they would have time to do all that in another hour. I just knew that Jackson was in a big hurry to be on the outside. During the next hour, the nurse continued to monitor my contractions and Jackson’s heart rate. Unfortunately, his heart rate would dip during each contraction. It didn’t drop incredibly low, but enough to concern them. So she gave me an oxygen mask and instructed me to just breathe really deeply during contractions.

While the epidural was such a relief, it was not entirely effective. I kept feeling each contraction in a very small portion of my uterus on the left side, as well as in my left hip/pelvic region. I could also move my left leg pretty easily, while my right one was too numb too move around. In order to alleviate the pain on my left side, the nurse turned me to that side in the hope that the pain medication would pool in that area. Unfortunately, Jackson became more distressed in that position. My back was the best position for him, so I was more than happy to feel the contractions in that small portion of my body.

At 6:30 am, the nurse checked my progress again. She was yet again shocked to find that I was at least 9.5cm dilated. She said that I could technically start pushing now if I wanted, but she suggested that I continue to labor for a while to keep monitoring Jackson’s heart rate during contractions. He was doing a lot better, and letting him work his way down even more might be best. I wanted the least amount of stress to him, so I waited to push. She told me to just pay attention to the pressure I felt during and in between contractions. I felt pretty constant pressure at that point, so I’m sure I could have given birth to Jackson about an hour earlier than I actually did.

At 7:15 am, the nurses prepared the room for Jackson’s arrival. It was right at the change of shifts, which happened at 7:30 am. Looking back on it now, I seriously doubt that I needed to wait to push at 6:30 am, as the nurse had instructed. I imagine they didn’t know how long the pushing might take, so they decided to wait to get started until the shift change. My obstetrician was actually the doctor on call overnight, so she came in to say hello and wish me luck. Since I was ready to push at this point, they skipped the catheter. An amazing nurse massaged mineral oil into my perineum in hopes that I wouldn’t tear. Then she and William talked me through pushing on two contractions to get Jackson to crown. It was at that point that the nurse told me he had a full head of hair.

At 7:45 am, the obstetrician entered the room, hopped on his stool, and told me that I could push on the next contraction. It seemed to take forever for the next contraction to start. They were one on top of another up until that point, and then they stalled when I really needed one. Finally, though, I felt it coming, and William, the nurse, and the obstetrician talked me through three big pushes during that contraction. I never imagined I could push that hard. All I could think about was Jackson’s well-being. I was so worried that his heart was slowing with each push. And that motivated me to just push as hard as I possibly could and get him out as fast as I could.

At 7:51 am, on my third push, Jackson William was born. When I saw the doctor lift him up, I was so overwhelmed with emotion. As I write this, it’s all welling up inside again. I just couldn’t believe that I was finally meeting the little one that I had nurtured inside me for nine months. It was at this point that William shed some tears too. The man whom I’d only seen cry twice in our 13-year relationship was also overwhelmed with emotion. This little human that we saw for the first time on an ultrasound screen as a gummy bear when I was just eight weeks pregnant was now here on the outside with us. And he was screaming at the top of his perfect little lungs, the sweetest sound I had ever heard.

The obstetrician asked William if he wanted to cut the cord, and he did. Then the nurses placed Jackson on my chest to clean him up and perform the initial Apgar test. After our immediate skin-to-skin contact, the nurses took him to the warmer and weighed and measured him. The obstetrician focused on delivering the placenta. He told me that it was already coming. Within just a few minutes of Jackson’s birth, he delivered the placenta as well. I did suffer a second-degree tear from the very fast and vigorous pushing. So he worked on stitching me up while the nurses worked away on Jackson.

He weighed 6 pounds & 10 ounces and was 19.5 inches long. All that worry about Jackson being underweight proved to be completely unnecessary. He also scored 9 on his Apgar test, and the nurse commented on how beautifully pink he was within a minute after birth. I was so relieved, since he had been somewhat distressed during labor. William observed the whole process, and the nurses encouraged him to talk to Jackson. As soon as William said something up close to our little one, Jackson opened his eyes, perked up, and looked right at his daddy. It was so precious.

After the nurses finished with warming and measuring him, they returned him to my chest so I could breastfeed. Within just 15 to 20 minutes of birth, I was breastfeeding my newborn. His eyes were wide open and so very beautiful. I became overwhelmed with emotion yet again. I just couldn’t believe that I was privileged enough to be this baby’s mother. That bonding time was so amazing, as we nursed skin to skin while William stood beside us, the proud husband and father. I’d never felt so close to him or as proud that he was my husband.

The epidural wore off pretty quickly, as the nurse had shut it off just prior to Jackson’s birth. I guess she knew after Jackson crowned that I would be pushing him out fast. After our breastfeeding session, the nurses bathed Jackson, and then let William hold him, all clean and swaddled up and sleeping like a precious angel. In the meantime, the nurse escorted me to the bathroom to clean up and get changed into my real clothes. Since I never had a catheter inserted, my bladder had not been cleared. However, the epidural numbs that urge, so I couldn’t pee right away.

It was so beautiful to walk out of the bathroom and see my husband sitting in a chair, holding Jackson, and just staring at him with adoration. We were able to bond alone as a family for another 30 minutes or so before the nurses escorted us to our room. I finally felt the urge to pee, and I do not exaggerate when I say that I went for probably two minutes straight. It just kept coming. During the final weeks of my pregnancy, I had a very difficult time ever emptying my bladder. This release felt so amazing.

Our pediatrician stopped by on Friday before we were discharged and gave Jackson a clean bill of health. He lost 3.25 ounces in his first 24 hours, well within a normal range. He has nursed incredibly well, with a strong latch most of the time. We went to a follow-up mommy/baby wellness appointment on Monday, and the nurse commented that he has long fingers and toes and a lot of strength already. I hope that means he will be tall like his daddy. She observed us breastfeeding and said that she could tell we had taken a course. The funny thing is that we didn’t take any courses. I did read up on the subject, but I owe most of the credit to Jackson.

It’s almost a week later, and I just can’t believe how fast time has flown. We had one rough night when I questioned my decision to breastfeed because Jackson was having difficulty latching due to engorgement. William even went out in the middle of the night to buy a can of formula. We didn’t end up using it, though, and breastfeeding is going so incredibly well now.

Jackson is such a sweet baby. He hardly cries, pretty much only when we change his clothes. He doesn’t even really mind diaper changes, just the clothes coming off part of it. He has projectile pooped on me already, right after cleaning him from a previous poopy diaper. I just had to laugh. He has also peed on daddy. We’re getting the hang of diaper changes, especially the peeing part. Since we had him circumcised, it’s a little more difficult to aim his pee and prevent mishaps at this point. We’re just trying to be so careful with him. In a few more days, though, that shouldn’t be a problem anymore. He already sleeps for large chunks of time at night. I actually have to wake him in order to change and feed him. He loves skin-to-skin time with mommy, and he absolutely adores it when daddy holds him against his chest.

I had such a wonderful pregnancy and such a wonderful birth experience. I feel so incredibly blessed to have this child in my life and this amazing little family. And here is picture overload of our beautiful baby boy.

http://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.just...345818b3fa.jpg http://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.just...725c3f54a6.jpg http://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.just...79f4762d1a.jpg http://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.just...18adac1db5.jpg http://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.just...c622d5b40a.jpg http://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.just...e2fcb1a9f2.jpg http://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.just...9f47f0f297.jpg http://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.just...149d8e09f2.jpg http://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.just...806252323e.jpg http://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.just...92022acbe0.jpg

Mom2JDub August 23rd, 2012 07:42 PM

Re: A Baby Journal for Jackson
Jackson had his two-week appointment today. I was so happy to hear that he's up 11 ounces from his birth weight, and he's up 17 ounces in just the past ten days. :D He's also grown 1.25 inches. He's still just in the 16th percentile for weight, but I figure he's only supposed to be 4 days old right now, so I'm perfectly fine with that. He's in the 57th percentile for length, so I guess he's just long and lean... for now.

His doctor was really pleased with his progress, especially since I'm exclusively breastfeeding him. I'm so glad I stuck with it, even though it was rough during that transition/engorgement phase. He's obviously thriving, and I'm just so thrilled. DH is really sweet too. He told me he's never seen anything more beautiful that the sight of Jackson breastfeeding. :heart:

Jackson is such a sweet baby. He hardly ever fusses, just when we change him (and not every time at that). And he gets gas sometimes that causes him grief and that burping doesn't alleviate. The gas relief drops, though, seem to help a ton when he gets fussy. He is a poop machine and seriously farts louder than I do. I joke that he takes after his daddy. :p

Here are a few pics of my little guy.

http://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.just...0b12386b3a.jpg http://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.just...9c8966462b.jpg http://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.just...360c7c0f18.jpg

BabyBirdies August 23rd, 2012 07:53 PM

Re: A Baby Journal for Jackson
Following along :)

Belita August 23rd, 2012 09:27 PM

Re: A Baby Journal for Jackson
:bluecheer: Yay!!! Jackson has a baby journal! :wub:

Now you have me wondering if you fart exceptionally loud and that's part of what makes it amazing that Jack toots louder than you or if it's simply the fact that you're an adult and he's so little!

Glad his appt went well and hopefully these last few days of your MIL being there fly by, especially since your husband is off from work. :D

jojo2bee August 24th, 2012 12:32 AM

Re: A Baby Journal for Jackson
oh yay a baby journal to stalk now! great idea on starting one! we should make an area for baby journals! Jackson is as cute as ever and thats great to hear things are going great and his 2 week checkup was great as well!

princessrory August 24th, 2012 03:43 AM

Re: A Baby Journal for Jackson
glad to see you've started a baby journal. you write so well, it's a such a pleasure to read. not to mention jackson looks pretty cute and you three seem to have found a rhythm pretty easily.

it's nice to follow people's journals who have a sensible approach to this whole baby thing... plus you'll have tons of embarrassing stories for jackson when he turns 21!

Nicholle ttc August 24th, 2012 09:00 AM

Re: A Baby Journal for Jackson
Woo hoo!!! Baby journal! Thank you so much for sharing the birth story! He's the most precious little boy! So happy for you! :wub:

kbpeanut August 24th, 2012 11:19 AM

Re: A Baby Journal for Jackson
I'm so glad you started a Baby Journal. I love this idea! I will probably do the same, whether here or on my blog, not sure yet. But I love this idea! x

Belita August 24th, 2012 12:23 PM

I figure I'll do one for Sean, but probably only update weekly or twice per week. :)

Mom2JDub August 24th, 2012 03:30 PM

Re: A Baby Journal for Jackson
15 days old

So for those of you ladies feeling a lot of movement right now, and especially those of you who are ever confused by the movement. Like, how in the heck is my baby kicking me on both sides of my belly? Or what is that I'm feeling? I just wanted to share that Jackson will move certain ways sometimes that totally set off the light bulb in my head and I realize that he did the exact same thing while in my womb. It's a really sweet thing to observe.

I also wanted to share that Jackson was curled up on his left side for pretty much the entire second half of my pregnancy. Head down, but favoring his left. And now he always want to lie on his left side. When he naps during the day, I make sure to lay him on his right side to even it out, but he's already more flat-headed on the left side.

He also liked to have at least one hand up by his face while in utero. And he now must sleep with one of his hands up by his face. In fact, if I put him flat on his back, he always rolls onto his left side, and he will place his left hand under his face. He does it every single night. He will struggle and struggle to get at least one of his arms out of his swaddle, so I started just swaddling him with one arm out already. And now he goes to sleep without squirming around too much.

He also gets hiccups at least once per day and sometimes three or four times, just like when he was in utero. He coughs, sneezes, and yawns a lot, and it's all so stinkin' cute.

I'm getting a lot faster at diaper changes, and I'm having a lot fewer mishaps with pee and projectile poop. And, Robyn, when I said that he farts louder than I do, I meant that he farts louder than an adult, not that I fart exceptionally loudly. :p

Last night, he did something really funny. He was cuddling on his daddy's chest, and he tried to latch onto William's nipple. Fortunately, William was wearing a t-shirt, so he wasn't able to fully snag it. He looked really disappointed just after the attempt though. :lol:

It's 2:15 now, and he is finally sleeping (knock on wood). He woke up for the day at 7:15, and he has been cluster feeding all day, averaging just 30 minutes between each feeding. I would imagine this is that 2-week growth spurt that the doctor mentioned. I hope it means he will sleep well tonight. Just when I decide to let his queues guide his nighttime feeding, he hits a growth spurt and wants to eat around the clock. :rolleyes: I'm just getting sleep when I can, and I seem to be doing okay that way.

We're also finally going to give him his first real bath tonight. It took forever for his umbilical stump to fall off, but it finally did (sort of) on Wednesday. However, it didn't fall off naturally. It stuck to his onesie and came off that way, so there was still some goo left inside his belly button. I didn't want to bathe him until I talked to the doctor about it. She said that it's fine to give him a bath, as long as we clean and dry it carefully with a cotton swab. I still felt nervous about doing it yesterday, but it's even more dried out today. So we're going to give him his first bath tonight. :wub: I can't wait, as it's just annoying doing the sponge bath thing. I hope he likes bath time.

Well, that was kind of a rambling post, so I guess I'll stop it for now. :p

Belita August 24th, 2012 05:10 PM

Re: A Baby Journal for Jackson
That's so funny that Jackson is so similar to in the womb. I've heard mixed thoughts on that. It's so cute that he tried to latch on to your husband! Have the cluster feelings been hurting you?

Mom2JDub August 24th, 2012 06:26 PM

Re: A Baby Journal for Jackson

Originally Posted by Belita (Post 26446200)
Have the cluster feelings been hurting you?

My nipples are definitely a bit sensitive, but not too bad now. They were really sore those first five days or so, and they've been getting better. I apply lanolin after every feeding, and I really think it helps a lot. They're not cracked, so that's good. They're more just really sensitive from all the nursing. Hot showers feel really good on my boobs, but I have to shield my nipples (because I have a high-powered shower head). They honestly don't hurt as much as I thought they would. So I guess I'm getting used to it.

blueeyes25s August 25th, 2012 05:16 AM

Re: A Baby Journal for Jackson
Awww...that is so cute how he sleeps in the positions he did in the womb. That is funny how he tried to latch onto DH :lol:

Jackson sounds like he's doing so good and is such a happy baby :).

Crystallee August 25th, 2012 09:18 AM

Re: A Baby Journal for Jackson
Love getting baby updates!!! :)

dri2011 August 27th, 2012 12:22 PM

Re: A Baby Journal for Jackson
Yay yay yay!!!! I'm so excited about this journal!! Not that your others weren't totally AWESOME I just love hearing about the day to day of a new mom. Oh the joys :giggle: I remember those days. So glad that you and Jack are doing well. Amazing how even the husbands get attacked because they have nipples. Can't wait to see Aaron with that....lol. I'll be checking up on you two. XOXO :heart:

lilemma86 August 27th, 2012 03:16 PM

Re: A Baby Journal for Jackson
YAY for a baby jackson journal!! I try to envision how my little one is laying sometimes and it is funny that Jackson has the same tendencies as he did in the womb! Sounds like he is doing great!

HopeTea August 28th, 2012 12:22 AM

Re: A Baby Journal for Jackson
Glad you're all doing great! You must be so happy! :D

Wishinfor2ndblessing August 28th, 2012 03:04 PM

Re: A Baby Journal for Jackson
So happy to be stalking your baby journal now :D

Sounds like you and Jackson are doing well.... YAY :D

Mom2JDub August 28th, 2012 05:00 PM

Re: A Baby Journal for Jackson
19 days old

I thought I'd write an update while Jackson naps on the Boppy on my lap after a feeding. :p

He's definitely going through a growth spurt, as he was cluster feeding a couple days in a row several days ago, and he stretches, stretches, stretches all the time. He's outgrowing a couple of his newborn sleepers, but others still fit. He's on the cusp of graduating to size 1 diapers instead of newborn. I have a couple dozen newborn diapers left, so I figure I'll move him up when we run out. I imagine that in another week (or maybe sooner depending on this growth spurt), he'll be ready for some of the 0-3 month clothes. :D

So the constant feeding for those couple of days (and nights) led to a very sleepy baby yesterday. He just slept and slept and slept, which I knew would be a recipe for disaster for sleeping last night. And, sure enough, we were up way more than we were sleeping. And even when he was done eating, he would fall asleep on my lap, but as soon as I would try to move him to his cradle, he would wake up. I'm hoping tonight is different.

We drove my MIL to the airport this morning. Her visit ended up going really fast, and I became less annoyed as my hormones cooled down a bit. Yesterday, I let her snuggle him most of the day, since I knew it would be the last time she'd get to do it for who knows how long. When Jackson and I got home around 11am, I intended to take a nap. After I changed and fed him, though, he was not at all interested in sleeping. We both finally got a nap from 1:30-3pm. And I'll try to get him to bed early tonight, giving him a bath at 7pm and hoping it will calm him for at least a few hours. I'm seriously thinking about moving to the guest bedroom until my mom arrives in 10 days. I just feel so bad for DH, since he has to get up at 4am.

Speaking of DH, he is so stressed out about having to put Jackson in daycare. He absolutely hates the thought of entrusting someone else to "raise" our child during those hours. He also doesn't like the idea of exposing him to other kids we don't know. He is so overprotective. When we were TTC, he had toyed with the notion of becoming a stay-at-home dad, since my income is significantly more than his. However, we really are a two-income household, and there's really no way around that. We both have a ton of student loan debt, a mortgage, two car payments, etc. We have done the math, and he really could work a part-time job and we could make it work. But we couldn't forego his income altogether. We're interviewing a few nannies, and we're touring several small in-home daycare centers in the next couple of weeks. I'm hoping that we'll find one that he really likes so he will feel less nervous about the whole thing. He's just such a sweetheart and a good daddy already. :heart:

kbpeanut August 28th, 2012 06:01 PM

Re: A Baby Journal for Jackson
Awww, this is a nice update. I'm sorry you had a sleepless night, but hopefully the bath tonight will soothe him to slumber a bit more. I'm also glad your last few days with MIL weren't too treacherous.

My bro/SIL were also nervous about putting Mabel in daycare, but they are also a solid 2 income family, with no way around it. Luckily, their daycare is at SIL workplace and very nice (though I'm sure they pay an arm and leg for it!), so she felt ok being just across the office campus from Mabel. But I do know it was very hard at first. However, now that she's there, and in a routine, it's working quite nicely. She's making a lot of "friends" and even when bro/SIL go pick her up, they are making new friends of the parents too!

I wish you luck doing your research/tours, and hope that you find a solution that works best for you all! x

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:04 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright © 2003-2012 JustMommies.com, All Rights Reserved.