JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (https://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   TTC #1 Grads Journals (https://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1723-ttc-1-grads-journals/)
-   -   Jordan's Baby Journal (https://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1723-ttc-1-grads-journals/2577030-jordans-baby-journal.html)

DaniM0820 September 24th, 2012 02:51 PM

Jordan's Baby Journal
Jordan's Birth Story

We woke up at 5:00 am on Thursday, September 13th. My induction was scheduled for 7:00 am but I wanted to make sure I had plenty of time to shower, shave, and get the last few items packed in our bags. I also ate breakfast and did the few dishes that were in the sink so there would be nothing to do once we came home.

At 6:45 am, we left the house to head to the hospital, which is literally 2 minutes from where we live. I checked in in the Emergency Entrance, but Labor & Delivery had no idea I was coming. The doctor never let them know (idiot). That annoyed me but there was nothing we could do. We went through registry and headed up to L&D. Once there they got me into my room, I got into the gown and into bed, and they hooked me up to the IV and monitors.

At 8:30 am, they were able to start the Pitocin. Instead of just doing a little bit and waiting for my body to respond (as per my conversation with Dr. B on Wednesday), the nurses said they would be starting it and increasing the amount of Pit every 30 minutes or so until the contractions were going, then they would do every hour. I was not happy to hear this but after a little bit I started cramping but was having no real contractions. Randy and I had the TV on to pass the time.

At 10:15 am, the doctor FINALLY came in to check me. I was only 2.5cm, 70-80% effaced, which meant no real change from last week (I was 2cm, 70% then). He broke my water and it was a small flow (I was expecting a huge gush!) and more would come out with every contraction.

At 11:00 am, the contractions started picking up and I was getting uncomfortable. At 11:45 am I told the nurses I was ready for an epidural since the pain was getting bad. They checked me but I had made no progress from last time and I was told it was too early for an epidural. They gave me Demerol to ďtake the edge off.Ē It made me feel dizzy for about 10 minutes but practically did nothing. The contractions kept getting intense and the nurses kept upping the Pitocin and making it worse.

At 12:20 pm, the contractions were so horrible and I ended up crying through every one. I was checked again and was up to 4cm. They said I could order the epidural and of course I said yes. They had me get up to use the bathroom since I wouldnít be able to get up once it was in. I finally got the epi at 1:00 pm and it was the best feeling in the world! I was able to relax finally; contractions became 2-3 minutes apart. I didnít go numb from the epidural and could still feel some slight pressure on my right side, which was nice because I could still tell when contractions were coming but it was no more than the cramping feeling I had earlier. It was the perfect amount of pain relief. I watched more TV with Randy as a great distraction.

At 1:45 pm, they came in and checked meó6cm, 90% effaced. I was next checked at 2:15 pm and was 8-9 cm. I was feeling more pressure (like I needed to poop) and the nurses said Iíd be ready soon. 10 minutes later, at 2:25 pm, I felt like I had to push. The nurses checked me and I was 10cm, fully effaced! I pushed a few times before they decided to put a catheter in but they couldnít because babyís head was in the way (idiots). They said every push was making progress but I couldnít tell.

Around 3ish, I felt intense pain and pressure (Jordan was crowning) and the nurses yelled for the doctor to come in. I started crying since they made me stop and it hurt so bad. The doc came in and took his sweet time getting the gown and gloves on I wanted to kick him. Finally I was able to push and Jordan was born at 3:05pm. He was 6lb 13 oz, 20 inches long. I pushed for just 35 minutes (Randy just told me he counted and it took 20 pushes before they called the doctor, then just 3 or 4 pushes after that)!

I didnít feel as much relief as I wanted to but it did feel better. I noticed that Randy didnít cut the cord and that upset me. They had Jordan on my stomach for the initial clean off but moved him over to the bassinet in the room almost immediately even though I was told at the Lamaze class that he would stay on me. I finally heard him cry a bit when he was on there. I found out later the cord was around his neck and thatís why the doctor had to cut it. He came out very blue and after his 5 min Apgar (scored 8-9 because of color) he was almost pure white. I delivered the placenta and finally felt that relief I needed once everything was out.

The doctor was still down there and I noticed he was stitching me up. At first I couldnít feel anything but the slight tugging, but the longer he was down there the worse it was feeling. They finally put Jordan on me for some skin-to-skin contact, but the pain got so bad I was just crying. They gave me some more Demerol but I still cried while trying to bond with Jordan. The doctor was stitching me up for at least 45 minutesólonger than it took to push the baby out. He said instead of me having one tear, I had several small 2nd degree tearsóhe used 30 sponges to clean me up. Everything was so much better when the doc finally left me alone and I could focus on Jordan.

I tried to nurse right away but Jordan wasnít very interested. It was still great to have him there on me though. Because of the gestational diabetes the nurses had to check his blood sugars, which were perfect every time. They also took him to the bassinet to give him the Vitamin K shot and eye goop. After I got him back he did latch and I was soooo happy! I had a lot of fear that he wouldnít latch well and breastfeeding would be a hassle.

Sometime in the 5:00 hour, the nurses were ready to move me to the post-partum room. They helped me out of bed to use the restroom and I was able to move with little problem, which was good. I definitely felt sore but I sat on the toilet and tried peeing. I donít know how long I sat there but nothing was coming out, and when the nurses were ready to take me over I started to feel light headed and dizzy. I had to put my head down low. The nurses said I had lost a lot of blood and they were getting another IV in me so my fluids could get back up. I feel like I was sitting on the toilet dizzy for a while, but eventually I felt better and they got me into a wheelchair and back into bed. I didnít get to go into the post-partum room until after 7:00 pm because of my dizzy spell, but it was nice to finally get to go!

So there were definitely some snags in the labor, delivery, and post-delivery period, but it was all worth it to see my beautiful baby boy! I know if I had known better I would have done some things differently (mainly NOT using Pitocin) but he is here and safe and perfect in every single way.

Randy was fantastic during the labor. He was his usual self with me the majority of the time, but when things got bad he would just hold my hand and that was all I needed from him. He periodically asked if I was ok when he saw I was having a lot of pain, but he wasnít annoying about it and the entire time I was crying through the contractions he was silent but still just holding my hand. I thought I would want some encouraging words from him throughout but how he handled everything was perfect. I didnít want to talk to anyone and didnít want them talking to me. Iím so blessed to have a husband who is so much on the same page as I am, and I never had to tell him what I wanted to needed from him :wub: When it came time to push, he helped hold my left leg up and a nurse was on my right. Again he wasnít a talker but would rub my hand or my leg in between the pushing. He was a great coach even though I didnít want any coaching :)

We were able to leave the hospital just after Jordanís circumcision on Saturday morning. We were home by 10:00 am and everyone has been adjusting well, even the dogs :) Nights are definitely more rough than throughout the day (though he did do REALLY well last night!), but we are managing and Jordan seems to be a happy and fairly easy baby. Sometimes I feel useless though because I have been so sore from the stitches and swelling, I know everything will be so much easier when I heal and can get in and out of bed without feeling pain. Randy has definitely been a wonderful daddy and husband, and it helps that he will be home with me and Jordan until this Thursday when he goes back to work. This is all a learning process but I think we are doing well so far!


Skin to skin with mommy :wub:

Ready to leave the hospital to go home!

DaniM0820 September 24th, 2012 03:09 PM

Re: Jordan's Baby Journal
Picture overload!

Here are a bunch of pictures I've been hoarding on my phone :P Jordan makes the CUTEST faces!


Jordan and his pups :)

Mom2JDub September 24th, 2012 04:06 PM

Re: Jordan's Baby Journal
He's precious, Dani. :wub:

Sorry the labor wasn't exactly as you had hoped, but it sounds like it went pretty well overall. I hope your tears heal soon. :hug:

DaniM0820 September 24th, 2012 04:14 PM

Re: Jordan's Baby Journal
1 week, 4 days old

Well I finally uploaded some pictures of Jordan and got his baby journal started :)

We have been doing pretty well! I was in quite a lot of pain from my stitches. I was at the doctor's on Thursday because I needed them to call in a script for Tylenol with codeine. I was literally crying every day from pain down there. I found out that not only do I have several 2nd degree tears, but I was also scraped up (he described it as when you fall an scrape your arm on concrete...that's what happened to me during childbirth). Tuesday was so awful I could barely get up at all! I was so thankful DH was still home because he really took care of Jordan and would hand him to me for feedings but took care of everything else for me :wub:
Today is actually the first day I haven't cried from pain--it's finally starting to feel better and I don't feel as useless! :D Also, my bleeding is pretty light, so I'm really hoping that ends soon!!

Jordan also had a couple of doctor's appointments. He was 6lb, 13oz at birth and down to 6lb, 7oz when we were discharged that Saturday. His first appointent was on Monday the 17th and he was down again to 6lb, 4 oz. The doctor seemed concerned because Jordan also wasn't producing many wet diapers, so we scheduled an appointment for the following Tuesday to get another weight check. Well my milk came in Monday and he was peeing and pooping a lot more regularly. However, we had to take him to the doctor this past Saturday :( On Friday we noticed he had a lot of yellow/green goop in his left eye, and part of his eye was looking red to me. We took him in and had to get a script for eyedrops. The doc said it's likely just a blocked tear duct but want to treat with antibiotics just in case there is an infection of some sort. So we need to apply that 3 times/day for 5 days. Luckily he is a very tolerant baby and doesn't mind us messing with his eyeball :) After only 2 days of use I've noticed a lot less goop, so I think it is working!! OH and his weight was up to 6lb, 10oz on Saturday so I was able to cancel the appointment for tomorrow since he is gaining now (yay!)

Hubby went back to work on Thursday and the transition hasn't been too bad. We've decided that since he needs to drive all day it makes sense for just me to get up with Jordan over night. Also, instead of feeding him in bed like I had been doing, I've been taking care of his diaper changes and his feedings in the nursery so DH isn't disturbed. Jordan was doing really well with only waking every 3-4 hours. And DH likes to be up for a few hours before he actually has to leave for work, so he's been taking Jordan downstairs with him and letting me sleep until I have to feed him :wub: For having a newborn, we've been pretty well-rested.

Over the weekend, DH likes staying up late so this momma goes to bed early for a few hours of uninterrupted sleep before the next feeding :D Although I did start pumping a little bit recently because my one nipple was sore and bleeding a bit and I wanted it to heal some before Jordan got back on it (turns out I just needed to change his position from cross-cradle hold to the football hold and my nip is now perfect :D). The first 2 times I pumped 3 oz from my one breast. Sunday I pumped 1 oz from one and 2 oz from the other. Today was 2 oz from each :D It's a lot earlier than I planned on pumping, but it really has helped--DH can now give Jordan a bottle either once in the early AM before he goes to work or once during the weekend when he's up super late. I love being able to sleep a little extra :D

Saturday Jordan had a big day and spent some time at Grammy and Pappy's house so he could meet his great-grandmom, some great aunts and great uncle, and second cousins :) He got lots of cuddles and didn't fuss once! Everyone was amazed at what a good baby he is. Seriously the only time he cries is when he's getting his diaper and/or clothes changed! Or he cries if he wants to eat and I don't get him to my boob fast enough.

Unfortunately, even with his big day on Saturday, he didn't sleep very well Saturday night :( He was up for a big part of it and didn't sleep until I had him laying on my chest under my blankets with me. We both got a few hours of sleep. Then DH left for most of the day to go golfing with my dad (I was not very happy about that since I'm home all week with him alone and would have loved a chance to take a nap yesterday, but oh well). Last night was basically the same thing but since DH had work today I had to stay up with Jordan. I'd change him and feed him in the other room, he'd fall asleep, and then I'd take him back to the bassinette in the bedroom. The first couple of times he slept for an hour and a half, but then at 1:30 this morning he did NOT want to settle down. I stayed up with him until 3:30 when I tried putting him on me again and he was OUT until the alarm went off for DH at 5:30. DH got ready for work then took Jordan downstairs and I got 2 hours of sleep. He came back up and said Jordan hadn't slept at all. He was fussing when he was put in the bassinette so back on mommy he went. We slept until 10.

Two nights in a row of crappy sleep really sucks, but I think I may have figured out the issue. We've had the window kept open and DH likes a fan on him at night. The past couple of nights have been in the 40s and I've had 2 blankets on me. I really think Jordan has been too cold and that's why he wouldn't settle. We are going to keep the bedroom warmer tonight (yay!) and see if that helps. Fingers crossed!

Well that is a super long update, so I am going for now! I plan to update more regularly now that this journal is started :) I am hoping tomorrow I can report that Jordan slept in good stretches :D

Happy Monday all!

Mom2JDub September 24th, 2012 05:56 PM

Re: Jordan's Baby Journal
What a great update, Dani. It sounds like things are going pretty well. :D Jordan and Jackson were almost the same size at birth.

I've found that Jackson actually sleeps better at night when he sleeps more during the day. There's some science behind it. Hope he'll get back to sleeping several hours at a time for you.

The football hold works much better for me, too, as my nipples face outward a bit more than is typical. Lately, I've also been nursing him with us both lying down in the bed. It makes the middle-of-the-night feedings easier, but I have to get our alignment just right.

Hope you continue to heal. Thank God for that epidural, since it sounds like you were pretty traumatized "down there." Sorry the stitches hurt so bad though. :frown:

Belita September 24th, 2012 06:25 PM

Re: Jordan's Baby Journal
I love the photos! At the beginning it looks like he's trying to play peek-a-boo and then getting all grumpy about it! :wub:

Sorry you're still in so much pain. I can only imagine how a rug burn/road rash type of scrape would hurt in that area. :hug:

Yay for Jordan helping you get your way with the chill at night! ;) I hope that the warmer room helps him. Sounds like Randy is a great daddy so far.

blueeyes25s September 24th, 2012 06:25 PM

Re: Jordan's Baby Journal
I'm sorry the delivery didn't go the way you wanted. I hope you heal up fast and feel better soon!

Jordon is sooooo adorable :wub: Keep the pics coming. I'm glad he is doing well after a couple bumps in the road.

Cait&AngelAbove September 24th, 2012 10:34 PM

Re: Jordan's Baby Journal
He is adorable!

DaniM0820 September 25th, 2012 06:48 AM

Re: Jordan's Baby Journal
Thanks everyone :wub:

Adrienne, he's actually been really good at sleeping during the day but then was up all night. Though I am SO happy to report that having the window closed sand putting him in a thicker sleep sack helped Jordan sleep in 2-3 hour stretches!!! The only time he was awake last night was when he was eating (before that zonked him out, anyway :D) He only woke up 3 times between 8:30 when we went to bed and 5:30 when the alarm went off for DH, then DH took him downstairs and I was able to sleep until 8 :) I love this routine haha!

And right now he's chilling in his bouncy seat and I am going to get some breakfast :D

sweet.hun September 25th, 2012 09:18 AM

Re: Jordan's Baby Journal
He is such a little cutie pie!! Congrats! Sorry you had such a rough labor and delivery. I can only imagine how bad you must have hurt down there! :dothug:

DeepSouthMommy September 25th, 2012 03:48 PM

Re: Jordan's Baby Journal
Jordan is adorable! I'm glad y'all got the sleep situation figured out for him. And goodness, I hope you brought your peri bottle home from the hospital! Poor thing, I couldn't imagine dealing with so much pain like that. :( I'm glad it's getting better, but still. Ouch!

Btw, anytime that Jordan has a problem (eye goop, stuffy/runny nose, etc.), try using breast milk! Just a drop in his eye or a drop in each nostril...it's amazing what that can clear up! :D

Belita September 25th, 2012 04:00 PM

Re: Jordan's Baby Journal
I'd heard the breast milk thing, too! I know some people for whom it cleared up their eyes quickly!

I love the new siggy! :D

DaniM0820 September 26th, 2012 12:54 PM

Re: Jordan's Baby Journal
I heard that about breast milk as well! We have a couple more days of the eye drops and if it isn't completely cleared by then I will try the breast milk :)

1 week, 6 days

Jordan lost his cord stump yesterday!!! :bluecheer: It was hanging on by a thread for a couple of days but finally came off during a diaper change yesterday :) It bled a little bit which the doc said would be normal but it has stopped now and we can finally give him a real bath! That will either be tonight or tomorrow night.

We had another good night of sleep last night with Jordan waking every 3 hours. DH took him downstairs from 5:30-7:30, then I fed him again and put him back to sleep. He woke around 9:30 and I got up even though I wanted to sleep longer. I slept plenty so I don't know why I felt so tired, but I wasn't feeling too well last night and today I've been battling a headache. I really hope I'm not getting sick.

My lady wounds seem to be healing finally! I haven't needed any meds in a couple of days and it hasn't hurt going to the bathroom as much, though I am still using my spray bottle, Dermoplast, and witch hazel. Also, the entire pregnancy I had zero sex drive and we maybe DTD 10 times the entire 9 months (poor DH) but ever since about a week PP my drive has come back with a vengeance!! Lol I am glad I feel back to normal but it really sucks that we can't do anything about it yet. Once I get the ok from my doc though we are definitely taking advantage of that ;)

Things have been pretty chill around here today though Jordan was fussing for a little while this afternoon until I laid with him on me. He's sleeping now so I was able to pump 3 oz, do the dishes, and clean up dog doo. Going to throw dinner in now then get the dusting done, and then I can feel truly accomplished for today ;)

OH and awesome news for me: I weighed myself this morning and am 5 lbs under my pre-preggo weight, even with my milk in :cheer: After getting discharged from the hospital I was 1 lb over pre-preggo weight and now I've lost more without diet and exercise :D I'm confident I can lose even more and be in much better shape once I get the ok from the doctor to exercise :)

Belita September 26th, 2012 06:59 PM

Re: Jordan's Baby Journal
Glad things are looking up for you!

DaniM0820 September 27th, 2012 10:03 AM

Re: Jordan's Baby Journal
2 weeks old

I can't believe I was in labor and gave birth just 2 weeks ago! We are all so comfortable in our new life that it feels like Jordan was here all along :) I am so glad we have all adjusted so well, the pups included.

I think Jordan is developing his own routine in the morning. For the past 2 nights he has woken up at quarter to 5 to eat. He would only nurse for about 15 minutes before falling asleep, but the second I put him back in the bassinet he was wide awake. The alarm for DH goes off at 5:15, and Jordan will lay there quiet just long enough for DH to get ready before he starts fussing. I think he is really loving his time with Daddy in the morning, because when DH took him downstairs today he went right to sleep (as did I :lol:) It is really sweet and I know DH loves having his alone with Jordan as well.

So at 8:30 DH brought Jordan back upstairs to eat and he had to head to work. I thought Jordan would go back to sleep after feeding him, but nope! Jordan just wanted to play :P So downstairs we went, and I put him on his bouncer with his toy bar and we played for a while. After a bit he got a little fussy so I put the toys away and Jordan went to sleep.


:wub: He is so precious, I really do love my little guy! And I think he's finally interested in his toys because he was batting at some of them while staring right at them, so I don't think it was all unintentional! I am looking forward to the days when he is even more interested, but I also cherish these times as well :)

As for me, I think I finally felt some engorgement! When Jordan woke up to eat at 4:45 my right boob felt so tender/a little painful to the touch, and I noticed I had leaked through my breast pad and onto my shirt (and on the bed :eek:). Needless to say I was so happy to nurse him after that, and I even pumped about 4oz when we came downstairs!

Well that is it for us; not much going on today though I am debating vacuuming (but it may wait until tomorrow :giggle:)
Happy Thursday all!

Mom2JDub September 29th, 2012 12:50 PM

Re: Jordan's Baby Journal
Glad things are going so well. I must say that I am quite jealous that your DH can sit with Jordan for a time in the morning. I'm seriously wondering how the heck I'll be able to get ready for work with my husband leaving at 4am. At least I have 6+ weeks before I have to deal with it.

Jordan is a cutie. :heart:

kbpeanut October 1st, 2012 11:07 AM

Re: Jordan's Baby Journal
I'm so glad you are all settling into a routine! I love all the pics, especially the pup ones! Too darn cute! x

DaniM0820 October 1st, 2012 04:18 PM

Re: Jordan's Baby Journal
2 weeks, 4 days old

Jordan and I did not have a good night! He just did not want to settle down. I'd get up to feed him and he'd fall asleep after a while, but the second I'd get him into the bassinet, he would be wide awake and fussing. His pacifier calmed him down but then he'd spit it out and start crying. The only way he would sleep is if I layed him on me, which meant that I didn't sleep as well. I was SO HAPPY when DH took him downstairs and I was able to get a few hours of uninterrupted sleep. I am hoping that tonight is better for both of us, but if he does the same thing then I'm just going to stay downstairs with him so we don't disturb DH. I felt bad that he woke up at one point last night.

Saturday we had a fun day! We took Jordan to Picture People to get some pictures done, and I think they turned out pretty nice :) Just note that these are pictures of the picures:


:wub: He was pretty grumpy the entire time but the photographer got some decent faces :D

Today I had another OB appointment. I am happy to report that most of the stitches have dissolved and my doctor said that the other skid-type wounds are still red but healing nicely :) I do feel much better down there, and I am glad they are finally healing. I can't wait until I feel normal (and to be able to DTD ;)) My next appointment is the 4 week PP one.

Well, that's it with us for now. :) Even though last night was rough Jordan was his usual easy-baby self today! We have nothing going on now unil Thursday when Jordan will be meeting his great-grandparents (they live in upstate NY and are coming down for a visit :D). I am very excited about that!

Happy Monday all!

kbpeanut October 1st, 2012 04:54 PM

Re: Jordan's Baby Journal
Ooh, great pics! I love your new siggy too!

Belita October 1st, 2012 06:45 PM

Re: Jordan's Baby Journal
Cute pics!

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:54 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright © 2003-2012 JustMommies.com, All Rights Reserved.